Council is seeking community feedback on two key draft strategic documents: the Council Plan and the annual Budget.
The Local Government Act (2020) requires Council to prepare and adopt a four-year Council Plan following a general election.
The Plan is reviewed annually.
The Council Plan is the feature document in Council’s suite of strategic planning documents, formulated to guide the work of Council over a four-year period.
The Council Plan is strongly aligned with the long-term community plan, Warrnambool 2040, on which Council is a major partner.
Over recent months, Council has reviewed the Council Plan. The annual review is a fine-tuning of the plan and does not discount the work done by the community in helping to prepare the first iteration of the plan.
The vision for Warrnambool – a thriving city at the heart of coast and country – remains unchanged along with the plan's objectives which are:
1. A healthy community: we will be a healthy, inclusive and thriving community with equitable access to services, cultural opportunities and recreational activities.
2. A sustainable environment: we will protect and strengthen local ecosystems, enhance biodiversity and enable sustainable communities.
3. A strong economy: we will support a resilient local and self-sustaining regional economy that encourages economic growth and provides increased employment opportunities that attract ongoing investment.
4. A connected, inclusive place: we will provide high quality places that people value and want to live, work, play and learn in.
5. An effective Council: we will be recognised as a collaborative Council and a high-performing organisation that enables positive outcomes for Warrnambool’s community, environment and economy and for Victoria’s South West. A number of activities and initiatives have been revised to reflect the completion of projects and any additional work being done to fulfil the plan’s objectives. The actions and initiatives may be added to in response to community and councillor feedback during the exhibition period to represent our key strategic initiatives most accurately.
Section 94 of the Local Government Act 2020 provides that Council must prepare and adopt a Budget for each financial year and the subsequent three financial years.
Through the Budget, resources are allocated best achieve the Council Plan objectives in a responsible and sustainable manner.
As required by the LGA and the Local Government (Planning & Reporting) Regulations 2020, and following the best practice guidelines of a model budget, the Draft Budget includes prescribed information, presented according to best practice local government accounting standards:
- Financial Statements
- Statement of Capital Works
- Services and Initiatives funded in the budget
- Fees and charges
- Rating and borrowing details
Have your say on the Council Plan and Budget by emailing:
or by mail to:
Budget and Council Plan Feedback
Warrnambool City Council
PO Box 198
Warrnambool VIC 3280